Monday, April 12, 2010

Unexpected teachable moments... nothing fancy!

"Candy Monday," as we like to call it in our home, turned into so much more this week. The girls and I were sitting at the kitchen bar, and they were chowing down on their snacks. Mondays aren't the only days they are allowed candy, by the way...it has just become a very effective way of allowing the children to enjoy such yummy-ness in moderation. (That IS the key, right?) They look forward to candy for snack every Monday, and enjoy the spontaneous blessings throughout the rest of the week ;)
Anyway, we were sitting at the bar, and each of the girls had her mini bag of candy. As Emma began arranging hers on her Princess place mat, I began asking her to sort them, according to colors. Then I asked her to count how many were in each pile, which pile had the most, the least etc. She had no idea she was "learning," but she DID know
she was having a conversation with her mommy and she LOVED the attention!
Of course, what you do with one, you must follow up with the other, so as I looked at Kyla, with her big blue eyes starring at me for the same attention, I asked her to show me a problem from the "7 addition family" using her candy covered chocolate eggs. She thought for a moment, as she accepted my challenge, and I realized that although there are many moments in a day when I'm sure I miss teachable moments, I hadn't missed that one....and for that, I am grateful! I hope God always shows me the simple ways to relate to my children on THEIR personal levels!

1 comment:

  1. Love this!!
    I love those moments when we can teach them without them knowing they are learning...sneaky sneaky!
    Eisley and I do this every time we take a walk by naming all the things God made and their colors!
    Keep them coming KP

    ReplyDelete